Saturday, January 28, 2023

Sand-Dwellers

Emaciated humanoids with a facial resemblance to a koala. Their skin looks like it's encrusted with sand.



In the RPG...

Every time I've heard the Sand-Dwellers talked about, it's always with laughter, solely due to their koala-esque appearance. I think the new image above is a much better representation than the old one (see below), and should help to veer their P.R. considerably. A mostly-subterranean, nocturnal race should be feared, not laughed at, and I think Sand-Dwellers actually do have the potential to be scary. It should be noted that the Sand-Dwellers in the 7e Malleus Monstrorum are actually bigger than they used to be. In the old edition, Sand-Dwellers have a SIZ of 20-70, whereas in the new rulebook they are 45-120. I personally like them being smaller, but what can you do. This is the only stat to change though, which is a pleasant surprise. Unlike most other lower-end creatures, not even their attack chance has increased.
    One thing the 7e Malleus Monstrorum has added, however, is an ability whereby multiple Sand-Dwellers can merge to form a bigger one. This implies that they are actually made of sand—it's even called "Sand Form"—which just doesn't sit right with me. If they are composed of sand, they become much different beings, and would have immunities to impaling weapons and such.


In a video game...

I think Sand-Dwellers could be a great enemy in a desert setting. If they can appear from the sand quickly, the player would never know when or where they'll pop up, and if they can disappear just as quickly, it would make them much harder targets. If this was all happening at night, or in a sandstorm, I imagine it would be even more frightening. Like I've said, I think they have the potential to be truly terrifying creatures.

In a film...

While thinking of how Sand-Dwellers might work in a film, I can't help but get image of two large eyes in the darkness, reflecting light like a cat's, only to then be joined by two more, then more again. It certainly gives me chills thinking about it, so I'm sure a good director could make it work. Though I only vaguely remember it, The Burrowers featured creatures akin to Sand-Dwellers, only they walked on all fours and had no eyes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment